Friday, December 17, 2010

Review of Lunapads/Lunapanties

Well, I just wrapped up my first period with reusable products. It was certainly an adventure! I guess I should start off by saying that I am notorious for bleeding through stuff--underwear, jeans, sheets--I've destroyed them all (as my former roommates will attest). So, I think it's safe to assume that I have a pretty heavy flow compared to most women. A standard disposable pad just doesn't cut it overnight, or even the course of a one-hour college class in some instances!

When I first examined my Lunapads, I began to worry: they are awfully thin. After my first day of heavy bleeding with the maxi-pad and wing liner insert, my fears were confirmed. Unfortunately, I bled right through the sides, totally destroying a pair of jeans. But the really scary part was that I had no idea! The pads are extremely comfortable, like being wrapped up in a soft blanket. The problem is that they are almost too comfortable. Unlike conventional disposable pads, you can't really feel clumps of bloody tissue (sorry for tmi, but that's what it is) sitting against your skin, because they don't. The Lunapads do a good job of sucking moisture away from you, but, since they lack the plastic-y bottom that disposables have, the fluid continues right into your underwear without becoming uncomfortably wet first. It's great feeling, but not so great looking after an accident! So, I think the main issue here is timing: you need to check the red zone frequently for leaks, and don't assume that feeling dry means you are dry.

Th next part of my adventure was overnight. I decided to give the Lunapanties a trial, and once again ended up disappointed. My undies, pjs and sheets were soaked in the morning! I think the issue here was that the heavy gusset of the underwear tended to bunch up (I am a toss-and-turn sleeper) and some blood leaked out the sides. However, I tried them the next night (after a thorough cleaning) paired with a lunapad on top. It felt like I had a pillow stuffed in my pants, but it worked!

It was during my trial of the pad with regular liner that the most horrific thing to date happened. I was going to the bathroom, and as I was reaching for the t.p., the liner slid out of my underwear (it must've come loose from the ric-rac straps) and fell in the toilet! I had to reach in (after having done my business in there) and pull it out. I was traumatized.

So, I am not exactly enchanted with these products. I want to give them another try next month, though. Some observations about the pads and panties:

1.) The "wings" on the pads (the part that wraps around) are not fleecy like the gusset. This means that blood will leak through them more rapidly than it will in the center. My initial bleeding through episode happened because of leakage around the sides while the part that touches skin was still pretty dry.

2.) The wing liners do not fasten on the bottom; i.e., the wings flap up and do not really cover the area they are meant to after about 5 minutes of walking/moving around. So, it seemed to me that they did about the same job as the regular liners.

3.) They are a major investment. I spent $60 total on a pair of undies, a pad, a pantyliner, and 2 pad liners (one regular, one wing) and am guessing that it will get me through about half a day if I am changing them when I need too (which I am obviously bad at).

4.) I want a pair of Lunapanties for every day of the month! They are super comfortable and, paired with a pad, are way more secure than regular undies. But at $30/pair, I don't think I can afford a pair a day even for the week of my period. But, if you have the cash, they might be a worthwhile investment, especially if you're like me and have a heavy flow.

5.) You really can throw them in with your laundry! They come pretty much fully clean if washed right away, and if you wait a few days but rinse them in hot water first, they are fine in the wash. And no, they don't make your other stuff come out bloody.

I'll report more after month 2, when I will hopefully get the hang of changing myself on time.

No comments:

Post a Comment